If you are a veteran you will be pleased to learn that despite Covid-19, loans to veterans are soaring. The VA loan program originated a record 1.2 million loans in 2020 alone. That's up from 624,544 in 2019. VA loans are guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), although they are issued by private lenders like banks, credit unions, and other mortgage providers. VA loans are available to military veterans, active service members, and some military spouses.
Chris Birk, Vice President of Mortgage Insight and Director of Education for Veterans United Home Loans explained one of the primary draws of a VA loan -- buying a house with no down payment. "Conventional mortgages often require a minimum 5% down, while FHA loans come with a 3.5% down payment. On a $300,000 loan, buyers would need at least $15,000 in cash for a typical conventional down payment and $10,500 for an FHA loan. Those aren't small sums, especially for many veterans and active duty service members."
VA borrowers also get to skip the dreaded mortgage insurance payment. While some other government-backed loans and conventional mortgages require a borrower to pay mortgage insurance if they put less than 20% down on a property, the VA does not charge the same monthly fee. This benefit alone can save home buyers thousands of dollars.
"VA loans were built to open the doors of homeownership for veterans who might otherwise struggle to secure home financing. Part of that commitment is having more flexible and forgiving credit guidelines than other loan types," Birk said.
Birk says that one way VA loans open those doors is by allowing for a lower minimum credit score than most loan types. This allows veterans to bounce back faster into homeownership in the wake of adverse credit events like bankruptcy, foreclosure, or short sale.
Veterans also have access to the most competitive interest rates in the industry. According to data from Ellie Mae, VA loans have offered the lowest fixed interest rate on the market for the past five years.
Millennials and Generation Z fuel growth
Heading into the beginning of the Great Recession of 2007, VA loans accounted for approximately 2% of the mortgage market. Today, they represent about 10%.
Birk explained why: "Financial necessity has certainly played a role in that growth. Many lenders tightened their guidelines in the wake of the recession. Finding it difficult to meet new, higher requirements for credit score and down payment, veterans and service members started turning to their VA loan benefit in waves."
Millennial and Generation Z veterans accounted for half of all VA purchase loans in 2020, meaning veterans from the ages of 18 to 38 are the driving force behind VA loans' growth. Birk says that VA loans allow younger veterans the opportunity to buy a home right away, rather than forcing them to spend years saving a large down payment and building top-tier credit.
Even more good news for veterans that will complement your financial situation is the use of MoneyThumb's PDF financial file converters designed specifically for use by individuals.
Below is a list of ways that the home version of our PDF financial file converters can help improve your personal finances:
- Consolidate All Your Financial Records--MoneyThumb converters empower you to move transactions from one accounting platform to another, one at a time or as a whole. You can combine sources for tax preparation or archiving.
- Quickly Update Financial Records--When you need to enter expenses, but all you have are paper bank statements or a file format that doesn't import, MoneyThumb's home version has the solution.
- Migrate Financial Records to Cloud Accounting--Our home version makes cloud platform migration simple. Whether your choice of cloud accounting is QuickBooks Online, Quicken, Xero, or others, our PDF financial file converters for home use can handle migration.
- Intelligent Document Recognition--No matter which bank you use for your personal finances, our PDF financial file converters have IDR algorithms that will recognize them all.
- Pinpoint OCR--Our proprietary optical character recognition instantly reviews questionable fields in your bank statement, looking for patterns to self-correct and red flagging questionable transactions. Unlike template-dependent processes, our software doesn't need to be told what bank statement format is being used.
- Automatic Reconciliation--Conversion accuracy is ensured because our automatic reconciliation instantly compares transaction totals to summary information on your bank statement. Once everything checks out, the statement is recognized as reconciled, saving you time and manual review.
- Keep Payee Names Categorized--Our auto-assisted Payee Cleanup keeps your transactions categorized, saving you review and correction time, and keeping your personal financial records neat and understandable.
As the leader in bank statement conversion, as you can see from the bullet points above, MoneyThumb is the best choice for a PDF financial file converter to help you with your personal finances. If you'd like to take the MoneyThumb tools for a test drive, visit this link for a trial download.